It is impossible to present history of Kyshtym separately from machine works - JSC «Kyshtym machine-building factory», and history of machine works without Demidov's dynasty. Kyshtym was under construction round factory and for factory.
Demidov's dynasty is known with Demida Antufva who was the known smith. Unique son Demida – Nikita also has mastered forge craft. Further Nikita Demidovicha's formation was promoted by Peter I. The legend says: imperial favourite Peter Shafirov at whom the German pistole has broken has taken advantage of services of smith Nikita Demidovicha. Nobody has dared to undertake weapon repair, being afraid to break completely expensive thing and that to draw upon itself anger of the imperial friend. Anybody, except Nikita. Nikita not only has repaired the weapon, but also has made its exact copy with unique difference: on a copy instead of German there was Nikita Demidovicha's brand. Shafirov has presented this pistole to Peter I, having told about the remarkable Tula master.
Since then Peter I favour to Nikita Demidovichu only accrued, after all Nikita has developed for the king of a gun which have surpassed in many respects German prototypes. They so were pleasant to the tsar that it has given to Nikita a few gektars the state earth near Tula «for digging of ore and burning from coal wood».
Having received from the king the ground, Nikita has developed rough activity. Together with the son Akinfiem it for one and a half year has constructed the iron-works largest in Russia, has opened some new ore-bearing deposits, has tested new grades of the Ural ore and has reported on a sovereign that «this iron the kindest, to weapon business is better than swishs».
Soon, for achievements and successes, factory in Tula under the imperial decree has carried over Nikita Demidovicha, a year later Peter has given it the Ural factories: just constructed Nevjansky (on Neiva) and old, constructed at Alexey Mihajloviche, Verhotursky. Nikita Demidovich, having estimated prospects, it was switched to Ural Mountains, having left the Tula factory in the order of son Akinfija. At Nikita Demidoviche manufacture of the Ural factories was out of competition. One Nevjansky factory let out five times more pig-iron, than all state factories together taken. On Demidov factories poured pig-iron, did copper, did iron, collected hours, produced the metal tool, ware, coppers, pipes, cast anchors. For not ordinary abilities in management of factories the king has awarded Nikita Demidovicha with a title of noble family. Having received in 1726 a rank of a nobleman, Nikita Demidovich has received also a title of the imperial commissioner and a new surname – Demidov, together with the family arms and the motto «Acta non Verba» – «Not words, and affairs».
On September, 21st, 1755 Berg-board has been signed the Decree on construction Verhne-Kyshtymsky and Nizhne-Kyshtymsky factories. The ore deposits opened round factories, have appeared excellent under the maintenance of iron and settled down close to an earth surface.
In 1757 have melted the first iron, and soon its quality it has been recognised not only in Russia, but also it is far behind its limits. This year also is considered date of the basis of factory.
With iron with mark «Two sables» covered roofs of houses of London and other European cities, and in 1873 on the World's fair in Vienna experts have carried Kyshtymsky Mountain factories to the best factories of Ural Mountains and Russia, making the most quality iron.
The success and prosperity of Kyshtymsky factories after Demidovs provided at various times:
Anton Dmitrievich Odintsov – has achieved a recognition of Kyshtymsky factories the European experts.
Pavel Mihajlovich Karpinsky – has essentially increased a working capital of Kyshtymsky factories.
John Lesli Urkvart – the gentleman of the Award of Stanislav of II degree «for industrial achievements».
At the time of October revolution and the Great Patriotic War factories passed with peace to a military production. In 1934 the factory became the native land of the domestic puncher: cars for drilling of chinks on strong breeds depth to 2-2,5 metres. From this point on capacities have increased at the expense of putting into operation the shop equipped with high technology.
In the summer of 1934 the mechanical factory was visited by the People's commissar of the heavy industry Grigory Konstantinovich Ordzhonikidze. Then it was scale event.
Ordzhonikidze on advantage has estimated the first Soviet puncher for which kyshtym the factory has received all-Union popularity. The praise was deserved: at tests in breeds of average hardness for a minute the drill has gone deep on 35 centimetres, and it was much more effective American – the best gave them no more than 27 centimetres a minute. Since 1950 kyshtym punchers have started to export abroad where they have won the big recognition. In 1970 one more working out presented at the Leipzig fair - scraper winch 100LS2S which has been awarded a gold medal. By the end of the XX-th century investigation, extraction and processing of minerals with the help kyshtym the equipment were conducted in 32 countries. In 1992 the enterprise has been renamed into JSC «Kyshtym machine-building factory». Since September, 2002 of JSC "KMZ" began to be called as JSC «Kyshtym machine-building factory».
Factory and city
Kyshtym has been based as inhabited settlement at kyshtym factory. As the factory has been placed in operation in 1757, this date is considered year of the basis of a city. In transfer from the Bashkir language «kyshtym » means «the calm weather in the winter». All district Prikyshtymja quite often name «Russian Switzerland» or «the Ural Switzerland» as the picturesqueness and a natural variety Southern Ural Mountains do not concede the glorified Switzerland.
Kyshtymsky factories not only have provoked the basis of Kyshtym, but also throughout all history actively participated in a development of the city, in its arrangement, infrastructure creation. By factory workers have been constructed: the First Piously-Duhososhestvievsky church, its consecration has taken place in 1765, Piously-Troitsk church (1848), the Hristorozhdestvensky temple (1857). In 1860 in Kyshtym the hospital has started to work. The drugstore, the city school, four schools were soon open.
In 1895 the railway which passed through Kyshtym has been constructed, having connected the cities of Chelyabinsks and Ekaterinburg that in turn promoted a development of the city. Till 1934 Kyshtym was factory settlement, and only in 1945 has received the status of a city of regional submission. In 1990 Kyshtym has been included in the list of historical cities of Russia. Today Kyshtym - a city of regional value which is located in the north of the Chelyabinsk area, on east slopes of the Ural mountains, between two regional centres - Chelyabinsk and Ekaterinburg. Now the square of the city makes 45,67 sq. km, and the population: 40 068 persons. In 2017 Kyshtym has noted the 260th.
Official site of Kyshtym urban district - www.adminkgo.ru.